Skip to main content

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?"

However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and function in society despite an anxiety disorder. I'm pretty sure I can do whatever I put my mind to and I have! As Mary Mary says in their new song Go Get It:


                   Can't be mad at the things you've been through, 'cuz they built your muscle
                   Now you're stronger than you've ever been, they can't stop your hustle


Opinion "I don't think you're going back to school."  
My response: In June 2009, after sitting out from college since September 2005, I started my second shot at college. Now, April 2012, I am less than four weeks away from graduating with a Bachelors of Science in Apparel Merchandising.



Opinion "I don't think grad school is an option for you" or "I dont think you should go to grad school"
My response: In January of this year I was accepted into Liberty University's (located in Virginia) online Masters program. On May 14th I will begin my Masters studies in Human Services: Executive Leadership.



Opinion "I think you're going to give up this 'celibacy' thing before you reach a year"
My response: May 8th will make three and a half years of celibacy for me.



Opinion "You won't stick to your religion. Why are you going through the Confirmation process?"
My response: Made my confirmation the day before Easter of 2011 and have continued to work on my relationship with God ever since. Have I stumbled? Yes. Did I get back on and on the good path with God leading the way? ABSOLUTELY. 


I look negativity in the face and laugh now. I have an amazing amount of confidence in myself that I never thought I would have. I have a support system that has my back through all of my ups and downs. I have a God that has seen me through the dark times and brought light and happiness back into my life. I cannot and will not let the Devil spew his doubts into my mind through the words of so-called friends, family and strangers. Believing any of that nonsense would be disrespectful to my supporters and my God. That will not happen.






Oh and in case the person that said my degree is worthless reads this:
The fashion industry has an annual revenue of over $150 billion. Also, an article stated "the global fashion apparel industry is one of the most important sectors of the economy in terms of investment, revenue, trade and employment generation all over the world". I don't know what your opinion of worthless is, but that doesn't sound very worthless to me. And thank you for your opinion. :-)

Be blessed!

Love,
Coco

Comments

  1. Congratulations!!!! I just saw your name on twitter and it's weird bc I'm 25, from New Orleans and I just received my bachelors in Marketing in May of last year!

    It took me a little longer than expected to graduate but I can tell you this, there is NOTHING worthless about a degree.You've accomplished something that a lot of people haven't and never will no matter how long it took you.

    Only you know your story and your journey and when you walk across that stage it will all be worth it trust me. Be an inspiration, even to the nay sayers - the best is yet to come! :)

    Lovely blog and congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The number one thing you have to remember is that peoples negative comments/reactions to whatever it is your doing in life (goals, dreams...etc..) Is a reflection of where they are in their life and who they are. Let their comments roll of your back and keep doing what your doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats exactly what my mom said! She said that they must not have anything going so they have to try to pull me down from my good place! And thats so sad! I prayed for them tho & kept it moving!

      Delete
  3. This really hit home for me. I been debating to go back to school, but I didn't know if I wanted to have so much money out for student loans. I told myself, if I'm going to school then make sure it's for what will make me happy. I was suffering from depression as well and like u. I pulled through on my own because I knew that a B.A. In fashion merchandising would make me happy! I'm 30 and just now Deciding to do it. Your story resides in many women young and old. So that's a blessing to tell your story. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck and many blessings to you on your journey! The road will be rough but stay focused and you will get through it!

      Im glad my story helps others :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it!  The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be.                                        Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly  After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I

Undergrad has come to an end...But its FOREVER LSU!

In June 2009, I made my triumphant return to college. After sitting out of school for nearly 4 years, I officially became an LSU Tiger. I walked on campus (got lost!) and felt proud to be there. I was so excited to begin my journey as a Fashion Merchandising major. I was ready to see what LSU had in store for me. Now, its May 11,2012 and I am officially done with my undergraduate degree. I took my very last final this week and I am now awaiting graduation (7 days!). Can you believe it? One week until graduation. Signing my Senior Checkout papers I still remember my very first class, Intro to Fashion Design. I learned about colors, sketching, and fashion figures. I even designed my first "line". I still have that project on the wall of my room.                                                                    My 1st Project During my time at LSU, I got to put my love of drawing and fashion to use, created business plans, designed bridal gowns, designed/set up a mer