Skip to main content

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it! 

The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be. 
                                     Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly 


After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I immediately thanked whatever horse or human gave up that hair! I was able to skip many weeks of having to manage my transitioning hair because it was braided and tucked neatly away under 14 inches of weaved amazingness. Once I took the first sew-in out, I was itching to get it done again because by this point, my real hair was borderline hot mess status and I just did not have the patience for it. 



A couple weeks later I got a new sew-in and kept it for a few more weeks. My sister removed it one day and then, it happened.......


                                Before                                  After 


                       THE BIG CUT! 


I was in a state of shock to be honest. I kept looking at myself in the mirror in awe and horror of my new look. I was afraid that I had made a mistake but at the same time I was so excited about my new "wet-n-go" hair. I remember my sister telling me "Just be quiet and let it happen" when I reacted to seeing my hair fall to my feet as she snipped away at the remaining permed pieces. I laughed and held back tears as I sat there and let it happen. When it was all cut and done, I felt a sense of freedom. I felt like I was starting something new. I put on some makeup, took some pictures and just looked at my new and improved self. My fear faded away and was replaced with a smile of accomplishment. I did it! I went through the process and ended my addiction to the creamy crack! 


I knew that it would require a lot more maintenance and more time, but it all seemed worth it. When I got it straightened for the first time after that, it looked so healthy. Several people said it looked like a wig on my head! LOL It was so soft and luxurious. Yet, as soon as I was ready to go curly again, it was so simple! I washed my hair, put a little Kinky Curly Knot Today in it, and it was curly as all get out! LOL 


Not everyone loved my decision to go natural. That bothered me at first. I didnt understand why my hair was such an issue, but then I realized, ITS MY HAIR! I had to do what I felt was right for my hair. I did what I wanted and I was happy with it. At the end of the day, I am the one that's standing in front the mirror. I am happy with what I see when I look at myself and thats all that matters. 


Its been about three and a half months since "the big cut", and I am loving my hair more than ever! I take good care of it and want to continue to do so. I've never cared this much for my hair until now. Anyone that wants to go natural or has just started, here's my advice: Do it and stick to it! Its tough sometimes but it's worth it in the end! Also, everyone's curl will not look the same or react to the same products.Try different products and looks until you find the ones that you love! 

Im going to share some photos of my hair and other natural styles and some information about the products I use. I'll even list some of the blogs, websites, and YouTube channels I use for hair care info and hairstyle inspiration! 


                                                  Rockin' the  Frohawk 


                        My sis twisted the sides back and left the rest out in a lil fro

                                         Some looks I found online that I loved 
                                       
 As I mentioned, it takes a lot to keep up your natural hair. Dont just leave it all over your head every night. I like to twist or braid at after I wash it and moisturize it with Shea Butter. 


The Products: 


                           Carol's Daughter Monoi Shampoo and Conditioners are AMAZING! Make your hair super soft and it smells really good. Not cheap though! LOL But if you are willing to spend $18 a pop, go for it!  




When I ran out of my Monoi shampoo, I decided to take the opportunity to try another product. I wasn't prepared to spend another $18 so quickly on shampoo! My sister recommended Jane Carter's nourishing shampoo to me. I've used it a couple times and it's a good product. It also costs less than $18! LOL 



Kinky Curly Knot Today is my new best friend! I love it so much I'm thinking about being it for Halloween. Adds so much life to my curls that I cannot get enough of it! Its only about $10 a bottle at certain stores so thats a plus!         


                            Cantu Shea Butter is like $5 hair heaven in a 16 oz. jar. 

I decided to try these products from Twisted Sista that I found during a hair supplies trip. The anti-frizz serum is pretty decent. The spray is good for those quick spritzings during the day if your fro/curls get a little dry. I wasnt as in love with the curl activator cream. My hair loves Kinky Curly too much. Like I said, every product doesnt work for every head! 

Websites, Blogs, etc. 
www.luvbeinnatural.com (also a YouTube channel)
www.strawberricurls.com
www.curlynikki.com 
www.blackwomennaturalhairstyles.com
www.perfumania.com  (some products I use are available here cheaper than other stores)

Well, thats my natural hair journey...so far. I am excited to see what else my hair will do as it continues to grow and become even healthier! I wish the best of hair luck to anyone else that is on the journey or thinking about starting it! 


                                               Love it so much, I painted about it 


Love, 
Coco 

Comments

  1. Your hair is gorgeous.I have been in transition almost a year now. I still get urges for the creamy crack,my sister who also helped me with my big chop is usually the person to talk me down from that.I love my natural hair more everyday.And thanks for posting those products, I will def be trying out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Resist the creamy crack!! Your hair can be so much healthier without it! Maybe ince you find the right products you'll be less tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know!I am finding products slowly that my hair just loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This page contains natural hair information that is totally appreciative and I just flattered on your blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct

Undergrad has come to an end...But its FOREVER LSU!

In June 2009, I made my triumphant return to college. After sitting out of school for nearly 4 years, I officially became an LSU Tiger. I walked on campus (got lost!) and felt proud to be there. I was so excited to begin my journey as a Fashion Merchandising major. I was ready to see what LSU had in store for me. Now, its May 11,2012 and I am officially done with my undergraduate degree. I took my very last final this week and I am now awaiting graduation (7 days!). Can you believe it? One week until graduation. Signing my Senior Checkout papers I still remember my very first class, Intro to Fashion Design. I learned about colors, sketching, and fashion figures. I even designed my first "line". I still have that project on the wall of my room.                                                                    My 1st Project During my time at LSU, I got to put my love of drawing and fashion to use, created business plans, designed bridal gowns, designed/set up a mer