Skip to main content

150 Days Later: Life After LSU

150 days ago, I received my Bachelors of Science in Apparel Merchandising from LSU. Seems like just yesterday I was sashaying across the stage (yes, I sashayed. It was my day and that stage was my runway) to receive my degree. The crowd erupted into thunderous applause as my former Historic Costume professor announced my name. Ok, so it wasn't the whole crowd. More like the twenty or so members of my family that showed up, but trust me, there was an eruption of applause. Watch the video for proof.





                                                      LSU TAM CLASS OF 2012

What has happened in the 150 days since? Well, my previous post discussed the more negative aspects of the last 150 days. Now, I'll share all of the positive and fun things that have happened!

The week I graduated I started grad school online at Liberty University. I am working on my Masters of Human Services with a Business concentration. I hadn't had a break since May 14th until last Friday. I need 30 hours to gradaute and after two 8-week sessions, I have 12 hours to go. My brain is exhausted. I am going to enjoy the several weeks I have until next semester starts.

A couple weekends after I graduated, I went on a road trip with my mom and sister to Midland, Tx to watch my little cousin Jessice graduate from high school. When she was a baby that didn't expect her to live to see her 5th birthday and there she was, graduating from high school. Look at God. The drive was a total of over twelve hours and was not exactly my idea of fun, but it was well worth it! Not only did we get to see Jessica gradaute, but we got to spend time with family and celebrate the upcoming arrival of a new addition to our family, Ry'Lee (she's here now and she's beautiful...just like her big cousin Coco)


                                                                          Jessica
                                                     Ry'Lee in and Ry'Lee out! LOL

When I wasn't working on stuff for school, I was working on crafts and my sewing skills. I have made a lot of t-shirts, tutus, paintings and pieces of jewelry over the last few months. During my periods of panic attacks and depression, crafting really calmed me down. There's something so relaxing about seeing an expensive item online and re-creating it yourself for less than $5 or turning an old clutch or old piece of jewelry into something new and updated. I always have that "Wow, you're pretty creative" moment after I complete a project. I've been patting myself on the back a lot.

                         Saw shirt on left online for $195. Made my own (on the right) for less than $5.                                                      


Bored by this black/white shirt so I painted it and cut it up

                                            Old Silver Clutch painted = New Neon Clutch


                                                       Few Pieces of Jewelry I Made

In August, I turned 26. I had been having a particluarly rought couple weeks right before, so it was a good chance for me to pull myself together and enjoy life again. I received a gift card to Saks for graduation from my buddy Jaime, so I used it to get a Halston Heritage dress to go with some Jeffrey Campbell python print high heeled sandals I caught on sale at Nordstroms. I even painted myself a "Hello 26" Hello Kitty wine glass to sip from that night for my birthday dinner. I enjoyed a great dinner with family and friends followed by pool/darts. It was very lowkey. Just the way I wanted.

                  My Birthday Shoes (and my 5*18 tattoo I got to represent the day I graduated)
                                                            My Fabulous Birthday Gifts

I have re-connected with some people and spent a lot of time with family friends over the last few months. I have been going to more social functions and communicating more. I have found that Im happier when I am surrounded by good people that are in my life for good reasons. So, I removed some people, re-connected with a few and strengthened my relationship with others. For instance, I finally re-connected with my godmother Kim this year. We really connected again after my "meltdown". She was one of the major sources of support during that time. After years of not having much communication, we became extremely close at a time when I really needed strong people in my circle. I think that was God delivering her back into my life and I thank Him for that.

With My Nanny :)

                   p.s. My Nanny got me my first pair of Christian Louboutins as a graduation gift :)  

                                                                Family, Friends & Fun 

                                             Did my first bridal fashion show in a long time

                                              Ice Skating with my fave ladies (mom & sis)

 

Currently, I am enjoying my break from school and the Wedding/Event planning course I am enrolled in. I am looking forward to finishing my Masters within the next year and getting back into the work force. I am slowly but surely regaining my confidence and re-establishing the strong faith I felt I lost a couple months ago. I'm taking things one day at a time, praying for God to continue to work on and in me, and removing all of the negativity from my mind, heart and life. These last 150 days have been full of ups and downs, but I am looking forward to the 150 days and all of those beyond it.

Love,
Coco




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it!  The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be.                                        Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly  After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I

Undergrad has come to an end...But its FOREVER LSU!

In June 2009, I made my triumphant return to college. After sitting out of school for nearly 4 years, I officially became an LSU Tiger. I walked on campus (got lost!) and felt proud to be there. I was so excited to begin my journey as a Fashion Merchandising major. I was ready to see what LSU had in store for me. Now, its May 11,2012 and I am officially done with my undergraduate degree. I took my very last final this week and I am now awaiting graduation (7 days!). Can you believe it? One week until graduation. Signing my Senior Checkout papers I still remember my very first class, Intro to Fashion Design. I learned about colors, sketching, and fashion figures. I even designed my first "line". I still have that project on the wall of my room.                                                                    My 1st Project During my time at LSU, I got to put my love of drawing and fashion to use, created business plans, designed bridal gowns, designed/set up a mer