Skip to main content

My Resurrection



On March 19, 2017, I took a huge step in my spiritual journey. I walked into a baptism pool, lowered myself into the holy water, and allowed my mind, spirit, heart and body to be cleansed. I rose up from the water with a new outlook. I was ready to embark on the next steps of my journey as a baptized woman.

A year later, I am reflecting upon the 365 plus days since my baptism and I am amazed by the growth I've experienced. Was the journey easy? Absolutely not. Was it easier to face the battles and adversity after renewing my relationship with God? Absolutely. I have constantly been reminded that God never said weapons wouldn't form. He said they wouldn't prosper (Isaiah 54:17). I hit some bumps in the road (spiritually, financially, mentally, and physically). I went through a short season of confusion and lack of motivation. I was angry with God. I yelled at Him! (Ever seen me yelling and upset? Then you know this wasn't cute!) Literally, yelled out loud and questioned His loyalty to me. I didn't understand Him, His plans, my life, my feelings... I was spiraling back into depression.

About six months after baptism, I decided to seek counseling. I had stopped going to church, stopped praying meaningful prayers, and stopped having faith in not only God but in myself. I needed help. So, I started counseling so that I could work through my anger, hurt and confusion. It hurt to face my pain but I did the work. Before long, I was seeking God again. I started asking about different churches, started praying harder, and started believing in myself and God again.

Now, I am only in counseling on an "as needed" basis (haven't needed it yet!), I'm getting out more, trying new things, attending church on a regular basis, and attending group meetings every week to discuss God, life, and faith with other women from church (s/o to the Worthy Group at Love Alive Church!). I am now talking to God again. TALKING. I am no longer yelling. And any tears are tears of joy from being overwhelmed by all the blessings He's bestowed upon me. He has come into my heart, my life, and my mind and made it new. He's talking back to me. We're communicating like a Father and daughter should. 

I thought it would be more of an immediate change after baptism but God said "Be patient"; something He knows is an area of opportunity for me. It took time. It took going through some tests but now I am able to give my testimony. I am able to share my journey with others so that I can inspire and spread the word and love of God. I am discovering that my pain led me to my purpose. Sharing my journey has inspired others to seek help and Him. And that is so far beyond anything that I ever thought my journey would do. 

I allowed God to resurrect me from the brokenness and breathe new life into my soul. I opened my life and soul to Him. He permeated me. He cleared out the distractions that were keeping me from my purpose. He answered my questions about purpose and His dedication to me. In this last year, He has showed me that He is not done with me. He needed me to take that step of getting baptized to open up new doors for me. Doors to a new church. Doors to a new job. Doors to new friendships. Doors to new experiences. Doors to new peace. Doors to new love. Doors to His abundance of blessings.
I am preparing myself for the rest of the doors He is going to open for me...for I know He isn't done with me yet. 

Blessings & Love,
Coco 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it!  The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be.                                        Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly  After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I

MY LITTLE GLAM FAIRY: KELLY LOU

Today’s entry is about my fabulously talented sister Kelly. This past August she graduated from beauty school and is now the new talent at Panache Salon in Baton Rouge. I am so proud of her!   ( wipes tear) My baby is all grown up now and beginning her career as a beautician. I know she is going to do amazingly well in her career and I cannot wait to see where it takes her!                                                     Anytime I have an event to go or just any old random day, I have her do my hair and makeup. She is responsible for my “big cut” when I went natural, she did my sew-in recently, she flat irons my natural curls, and gives me product advice. I also have her do my makeup because honestly, she makes my eyes pop way more than I ever could. I swear while I was standing in line for height, she was standing in line for talented hands. You too can have my sister’s talented hands style your hair or apply your makeup (just as long as it doesn’t interfere with any time I want