Skip to main content

Facing Fears, Showing Up & Showing Out

The older I get, the more I excited I am when I have the chance to stay home and do absolutely nothing. And lets not even discuss the pure joy I feel in my spirit when I am able to take a good nap... *daydreams about taking a nap*
I could stay in my room all day and only leave for food if you let me. 

I decided while writing my Best of 2014 post that I would make it a point to get out of my room more and do at least one activity or attend at least one event each month. I want to have stories to tell and memories to reflect upon. I cant tell tales of all the hours I spent locked away in my room, in bed, watching all my DVR'd shows while I dined upon delicious junk food. That would be tragic and quite frankly, a dull existence. So, Im fighting the temptation to be an introvert all the time and actually live a little.

We're now in our third month of the year and so far I have kept my promise to myself. I'm getting out more and making more plans. I'm still VERY excited about naps and still enjoy being in my room more than being in public, but I am making the steps toward being less introverted and more active in life. My fear of socializing still remains but I'm working through the that. I will no longer allow my fear to have so much power over me and the direction of my life. As my mom always says "You're only here once. You gotta have fun!" And you know what? I will! *cheers to fun and naps* 

Here's a recap of my adventures so far this year:
January 
My stepdad got tickets for us to attend a Pelicans game in New Orleans. We sat in the club section so we had catered food and free drinks throughout the game. We're fancy. 


Of course I took the opportunity to have a mini photoshoot while in the city. My need to be an introvert is changing but not my need to photograph myself...



The Pelicans didnt win but it was still a good game and I cannot wait to attend another! 

A few days later I celebrated my friend's birthday at Pelican House and then even went to a bar in Downtown BR afterwards. I had a good time catching up with friends that I dont get to see often. We drank, danced, ate, and laughed all night. It was a good night.
       Ignore the guy in the background. 

 The below 30 degrees weather had me VERY tempted to cancel but that wouldve been the Old Courtney's "way out of a social gathering". The New Courtney wore a fabulous black coat (that I got on sale for $20!) and showed up and showed out! *snaps*

February
My cousin Monique's birthday fell on Mardi Gras day so some of the family decided to ride on the family float and go out that night to help her celebrate. I am not the biggest fan of Mardi Gras (the crowds, the useless trinkets, the traffic, etc) but I knew it would mean a lot to my cousin to have her family there to celebrate with her. So, I ended my side eye of Mardi Gras for the day and headed to New Orleans. I ended up having a really great time. I was able to see family and friends that I hadnt seen in awhile and laughed harder than I have in awhile. It was FREEZING (by the way, why is it always freezing when I decide to go out? Mother Nature, girl, get it together.) but I bundled up and spent the day throwing trinkets and beads to the thousands of parade goers that lined the streets of New Orleans and spent the night (in my fabulous black coat again!) at Masquerade in Harrahs.
       The ensemble under the coat

 That place really isnt my "scene" but My friend met us there so I was able to catch up with him and spend some time with my sister and her fiancé (oh yeah, my sister got engaged! Im planning another wedding!!).  I was up for 24 hours straight. So to say I was exhausted the next day would be an understatement. I drove back to BR and immediately got into my bed. I also had to put some icy hot on my arthritic shoulder and take some medicine for my aching bones and sore throat. Did I mention the bruise on my side? No? Well yeah, I also had a bruise. 



Needless to say, I enjoyed myself. I do not, however, want to hear anything about Mardi Gras until the end of the year. My body is still asking me who I think I am because of the way I behaved that day so I'm going to need some time to recuperate before I even consider doing that all over again next February.

March ...so far
I brought in March with a bridal show. I didnt model this time. I was there as a Maid of Honor. :-) I helped my sister get information about wedding planning/vendors while we enjoyed delicious food and free mimosas (I enjoyed 3.). My future brother-in-law  enjoyed a few as well so he could have the courage to participate in the dance contest. Not sure what they put in those mimosas but it made him dance for his life. It paid off though because he won a free DJ for the wedding! 
Yes, my sister threw one dollar bills at him while he did his infamous Hydrolics dance. Those two nuts are perfect for each other. 

      Bride and Mother of the Bride practicing their dance. *wipes tear* 

Everyone asked why I wasnt modeling and expressed their disappointment in my absence from the runway. *sighs* People, people, calm down. I will make my return to the bridal catwalk soon! Ahh, the life of being a top model.
My "Im not a model today, Im the Maid of Honor" outfit. (Top, Target $7. Pants, Gap $9 and shoes, Shoe Dept. $9.99) 
 
Anywhoo, it was a great first bridal show with my sister as an actual bride and I am looking forward to many more! I am so excited for her! I've already started planning the bridal shower and I am constantly looking up dress/decor ideas for her. Cannot wait to see it all come together!


Welp, thats my social calendar so far this year. Up next is my second #TallLadiesOnlyTrip with my good friend, Karyn, to H-town! Little more than two weeks away! So excited!! More deets about that and any other March Madness I partake in to come!

Stay tuned,
Coco  

extra:
I scored a great fashion find that I just HAVE to share! During one of my frequent shopping trips with my mom (she's SUCH a shopaholic), I got this fabulous $160 sequin ensemble from NY& Co. for... *drum roll please*.... $17! POW! I wore it to my aunt's birthday dinner and was told I looked fabulous. If I was into tooting my own horn I would agree. 


*toots horn* 
#SlayingOnABudget 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it!  The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be.                                        Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly  After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I

MY LITTLE GLAM FAIRY: KELLY LOU

Today’s entry is about my fabulously talented sister Kelly. This past August she graduated from beauty school and is now the new talent at Panache Salon in Baton Rouge. I am so proud of her!   ( wipes tear) My baby is all grown up now and beginning her career as a beautician. I know she is going to do amazingly well in her career and I cannot wait to see where it takes her!                                                     Anytime I have an event to go or just any old random day, I have her do my hair and makeup. She is responsible for my “big cut” when I went natural, she did my sew-in recently, she flat irons my natural curls, and gives me product advice. I also have her do my makeup because honestly, she makes my eyes pop way more than I ever could. I swear while I was standing in line for height, she was standing in line for talented hands. You too can have my sister’s talented hands style your hair or apply your makeup (just as long as it doesn’t interfere with any time I want