Skip to main content

Best of 2014

I was scrolling through my Twitter feed late one night and I noticed a lot of people using the hashtags #BestSelfiesof2014 or #BestSelfies2014 while posting what they considered their "best" selfies of this year. I joined in on the fun and posted two or three selfies. It was during my search for one more selfie that I realized how much has happened this year. I then decided to stop the selfie hunt and start working on a post about this rollercoaster year we call 2014. 

I have been to weddings, reunions, parties, balls, ladies' nights, dinners, and unfortunately, a couple funerals over the last year. Lots of smiles, laughter and tears shed (some happy...some not). I have experienced so much over the last year that I couldnt possibly go into 2015 without reflecting on all the ups/downs and smiles/frowns of 2014. 

So, prepare to travel back, way back, to the beginning of this year. And then buckle up for a ride through all twelve months of 2014.

Ready? Here we go... 

January 
Guess Who's Back?

I made my triumphant return to the wonderful world of bridal fashion. I modeled some amazing pieces from Gabrielle's Bridal Salon in Baton Rouge at the Old Governor's Mansion. 


Paparazzi even caught a photo of me for the blogs/newspapers/entertainment news shows. p.s. The person in charge of proofreading needs to reconsider their choice of work. 


When I wasnt being a top model, I spent time with family and friends. I am always grateful for those moments because I am always guaranteed to laugh uncontrollably and smile as if I dont have a care in the world. 




February 
ZULU!

For years I have heard people talk about the legendary Zulu Ball hosted by the Zulu Organization every year during Mardi Gras season. Well this year I was finally able to join thousands of other wonderfully dressed folks (some, not so much) celebrate  Zulu 2014 thanks to my awesome stepdad, Mr P. It was a magical night and I will always be grateful to him for giving me the chance to experience that event. :-) 



By the way, my sister Kelly did an AMAZEBALLS job on my hair/makeup that night. I was going for a glamourous peacock look. NAILED IT. 


I was also able to see my high school best friend, Brittnee, for the first time in over seven years. I went to New Orleans to celebrate her baby shower for her second baby!....she had a beautiful baby girl not long after! :-) 


March 
MODEL MADNESS

I ripped the runway. Again. 


April

My cousin Oliver (older by a little over a month but you would think he was older by a decade the way he treats me) got married. Seeing one of my favorite cousins tie the knot was a beautiful thing and I was so happy for him. 


I was a fan of my look that day. Just saying. 



May

We celebrated another union in the family. This time it was my older cousin Kendall's turn to walk down the aisle. It was a very warm 1000 degrees that day (ok, maybe more like 94, but it sure felt like 1000). 


The heat didnt stop us from having a mini photoshoot outside though. 





June
Births and Birthdays

WELCOME KARSYN! We threw a baby shower for my Auntie Dana and welcomed her baby girl Karsyn all in the same month. Little Miss Karsyn decided she wanted to come sooner than we all expected but she was a very welcomed surprise! 

 
      Miss Karsyn aka "Chocolate Drop"

I also celebrated the 30th birthday of my high school friend Josh. I had so much fun that night hanging out with old friends and making new ones.
 


It was a Gatsby themed event so I made a feather headpiece and had my sister do a 1920s inspired look for my hair/makeup. 



My stepdad surprised me once again and took me to see one of my favorite childhood singers, Leann Rimes. I was even able to get a photo with her. She put on an amzing show and I was so grateful to have had that experience! Again, thanks Mr P!



July
10 Years? Already?!?

I reunited with the some of my classmates from McMain's Class of 2004 to celebrate our 10 year reunion. It took place over a course of three days: Party Night at a banquet hall, Club night at Eiffel and a class picnic. I was anxious to see the adults my classmates had become. It was a beautiful thing to see them all as professionals, parents, and husbands/wives. I had a great weekend and I look forward to the next reunion! 






This space walk reminded me that I am not a kid anymore in less than 2 minutes... 

August

I finished my last class of my Masters degree program and was waiting patiently for my grades and my 28th birthday; which would both come during the same week. I planned to spend the whole weekend of the 24th celebrating: My godson's 5th birthday, a former coworker's bachelorette, and of course, my birthday and finishing my Masters program. 



I got dolled up on the 24th to head to New Orleans for my goddaughter's 9th birthday party followed by my birthday dinner that night.


Moments after posting that selfie, I was hit with devastating news: My godfather's doctor asked the family to come say their goodbyes to him. Instead of celebrating, I was suddenly mourning. I made my way to the hospital, had one final conversation with my godfather and then waited around for God to call him home. During that wait, I got an email that I had passed all my classes. I had been waiting all week for that email and it chose to come then. 

Not long after, my godfather took his final breath and joined our Lord in heaven. It was an unexpected loss for our family. We knew he was sick and finally out of pain, but it was still tough to swallow the reality that he would no longer be here. We celebrated his life the next weekend and sent him home the way he wouldve wanted: with St Aug's cologuards and his racing cars. 


My family talked me into celebrating my birthday the next day even though I was just fine with letting the day go by without any pomp and circumstance. I met up with the usual "Birthday Celebration Crew" at Acme for great seafood and a few drinks (I needed every last one). 




September
MOVING ON UP!

There was a lot of talk around the workplace about changes being made to the management team (people leaving, people moving up, etc.). I listened to the rumors and guesses but didnt pay it much mind. Well, one afternoon I was asked to join two of my bosses for a meeting. I immediately had a million thoughts run through my mind but never did I think of the real reason... A PROMOTION. They sat me down to discuss an offer for me to move up to be Visual Merchandising Supervisor. Me! Little ol' me as the person in charge of marketing and merchandising at an $11+ million/year store? 

Dont have an actual pic but Im Pretty sure this was my reaction.

Look. At. God. I did the Nae Nae, Schmoney Dance, Beanie Weenie, Robot and Macarena in my head as my boss discussed her expectations of me in my new role. I thanked God so much that day. I was over the moon and felt so blessed.

I also made it to the board (only the bosses get their picture up there. PLONK! *in my NeNe Leakes voice*) 

TALL LADIES ONLY!
I also took a much needed weekend trip to Houston with my good friend, Karyn. We shopped, ate, got lost (LOL), met some interesting people and enjoyed a Journey cover band concert during our visit. 
Houston is one of my fave places to visit and I cant wait to go back. 








October

Guess what came in the mail and brought your girl to tears? My Masters. My name was on it and everything! It was two long, stressful, exhausting, and headache-filled years of work for that huge piece of paper but it was all worth it just to see my name on there. 


Me and God did that. You better check our credentials. 

November 

Thanksgiving was in Baton Rouge this year and I was so excited to have my family come out here to spend a few hours with us. I was a tad bit more excited about the food, if we're going to keep it all the way honest. :-) Seriously though, I really enjoyed having my family with me. Not everyone is so blessed to have a wonderful family to share holidays/special times with so for that, I am grateful.
 

Of course, I had a mini photoshoot... 


My family surprised me by celebrating my big accomplishment after dinner. I was completely shocked and felt so loved and supported. 


December 
LAST MONTH OF 2014

Spent a lot of time at work this month because I am in retail and the holidays are the busiest times of the year for us in that world. However, I was still able to spend some time with my family to decorate my aunt's Christmas tree at our Tree decorating Pajama party. I think it should be a new tradition for us...


And it was our newest member's first Christmas so she was allowed to put up one of the first ornaments... 


A few weeks later we celebrated Christmas in New Orleans and Gonzales. Got to see both sides of my family that day so it was a very Merry Christmas for me for that reason alone. Also, I got some really great gifts so that made it even better. :-) 

                        RCK for Life


Me and my goddaughter's matching ensembles! Told y'all in my previous post that we would be fabulous! 


   Miss Karsyn enjoyed her 1st Christmas


Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to yet another person this year. The week before Christmas my friend Josh lost his battle to cancer. I did not take it well because I just KNEW he would fight back and win. But, God had other plans for him in Heaven. We said our final goobye to him three days before Christmas. Im still in shock and a little bit of denial. Still waiting for him to text my phone to tell me Im being a hater or to ask me for fashion advice. My first Valentine is gone? Siggy isnt here anymore? Cant be real. But, Im praying through it and asking God for strength and comfort for all those affected by the loss of such a caring, funny, and generous man. 




Even though the year had some very unfortunate losses, it was overall a good year for me and my family. Those losses made me reevaluate life and relationships. I am grateful for every day that I am blessed to see and I am determined to live life to the fullest. I am learning to take chances, to forgive, to let go, and to just enjoy life. I cannot spend my days worrying and allowing fear to hold me back. So, I will say a prayer to get my days started and ask the Lord for his protection over me and my family as we make our way through life. 

So here's to a prosperous, love-filled, blessings-filled, and happy 2015! Be blessed! 



Love,
Coco

Comments

  1. I absolutely love to read your blog! Please continue (even though this one made me cry)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! I really appreciate you reading, Ranlee!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct

I cant LYE, I love my Natural Hair

Hello, my name is Courtney and I used to be addicted to Creamy Crack. It was an addiction that lasted for years. Finally, about a year ago, I decided to kick that bad habit. Cold turkey. It wasn't easy, but I made it. I can happily say that I am finally natural and loving it!  The process of going natural is difficult. Anyone that tells you it isn't, is lying through their kinky curly head! Resisting the urge to perm is hard. There were many days that I would look in the mirror and just stare at my hair in pure disgust. I had a real love/hate relationship with my hair for a few months. Luckily, I have a live-in beautician (hey Kel-Bel!) that assisted me through the tough times. She was like my transition sponsor! She went through the process so it made my transition not as horrible as Ive heard they can be.                                        Me and my Naturally Beautiful sister Kelly  After being anti-weave for years, I got my very first sew-in during my transition. I

Undergrad has come to an end...But its FOREVER LSU!

In June 2009, I made my triumphant return to college. After sitting out of school for nearly 4 years, I officially became an LSU Tiger. I walked on campus (got lost!) and felt proud to be there. I was so excited to begin my journey as a Fashion Merchandising major. I was ready to see what LSU had in store for me. Now, its May 11,2012 and I am officially done with my undergraduate degree. I took my very last final this week and I am now awaiting graduation (7 days!). Can you believe it? One week until graduation. Signing my Senior Checkout papers I still remember my very first class, Intro to Fashion Design. I learned about colors, sketching, and fashion figures. I even designed my first "line". I still have that project on the wall of my room.                                                                    My 1st Project During my time at LSU, I got to put my love of drawing and fashion to use, created business plans, designed bridal gowns, designed/set up a mer