Skip to main content

My Resurrection



On March 19, 2017, I took a huge step in my spiritual journey. I walked into a baptism pool, lowered myself into the holy water, and allowed my mind, spirit, heart and body to be cleansed. I rose up from the water with a new outlook. I was ready to embark on the next steps of my journey as a baptized woman.

A year later, I am reflecting upon the 365 plus days since my baptism and I am amazed by the growth I've experienced. Was the journey easy? Absolutely not. Was it easier to face the battles and adversity after renewing my relationship with God? Absolutely. I have constantly been reminded that God never said weapons wouldn't form. He said they wouldn't prosper (Isaiah 54:17). I hit some bumps in the road (spiritually, financially, mentally, and physically). I went through a short season of confusion and lack of motivation. I was angry with God. I yelled at Him! (Ever seen me yelling and upset? Then you know this wasn't cute!) Literally, yelled out loud and questioned His loyalty to me. I didn't understand Him, His plans, my life, my feelings... I was spiraling back into depression.

About six months after baptism, I decided to seek counseling. I had stopped going to church, stopped praying meaningful prayers, and stopped having faith in not only God but in myself. I needed help. So, I started counseling so that I could work through my anger, hurt and confusion. It hurt to face my pain but I did the work. Before long, I was seeking God again. I started asking about different churches, started praying harder, and started believing in myself and God again.

Now, I am only in counseling on an "as needed" basis (haven't needed it yet!), I'm getting out more, trying new things, attending church on a regular basis, and attending group meetings every week to discuss God, life, and faith with other women from church (s/o to the Worthy Group at Love Alive Church!). I am now talking to God again. TALKING. I am no longer yelling. And any tears are tears of joy from being overwhelmed by all the blessings He's bestowed upon me. He has come into my heart, my life, and my mind and made it new. He's talking back to me. We're communicating like a Father and daughter should. 

I thought it would be more of an immediate change after baptism but God said "Be patient"; something He knows is an area of opportunity for me. It took time. It took going through some tests but now I am able to give my testimony. I am able to share my journey with others so that I can inspire and spread the word and love of God. I am discovering that my pain led me to my purpose. Sharing my journey has inspired others to seek help and Him. And that is so far beyond anything that I ever thought my journey would do. 

I allowed God to resurrect me from the brokenness and breathe new life into my soul. I opened my life and soul to Him. He permeated me. He cleared out the distractions that were keeping me from my purpose. He answered my questions about purpose and His dedication to me. In this last year, He has showed me that He is not done with me. He needed me to take that step of getting baptized to open up new doors for me. Doors to a new church. Doors to a new job. Doors to new friendships. Doors to new experiences. Doors to new peace. Doors to new love. Doors to His abundance of blessings.
I am preparing myself for the rest of the doors He is going to open for me...for I know He isn't done with me yet. 

Blessings & Love,
Coco 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Its Spring!...Kinda.

Depending on where you are in the country and what day of the week it is, Winter is making its exit and Spring is sashaying in. Gone are the days of covering up as much skin as possible to avoid the savage chill of winter's wrath. Now, we can bask in the warmth of the sun and the cool breezes of Springtime. According to my calendar, Spring "officially" started about a week ago. If you are lucky enough to live in a place that has seen a rise in temperatures and the return of the sun, this post is for you! If your area's temperatures havent quite gotten that "Its Spring!" memo yet, I'm sorry. Maybe you can think happy, warm thoughts and use this post as inspriation as you daydream about the warm weather ensembles you will debut when the temperature catches up to the calendar.  I, for one, am very excited about Spring. I love any weather that allows me to either particiapte in #SundressSeason or wear my go-to jeans and a cute tank and sandals. I really love...

Thank You For Your Opinion

Someone told me recently that they think my degree in Fashion Merchandising will be worthless once I graduate next month. They actually said the word WORTHLESS. Had that person told me that about a year ago, I would've started thinking "Is my degree worthless?" "Will I get a job?" "Did I waste my time/money?" However, I have been in such a good place recently that my response to that was "Thank you for your opinion." I did not let the negativity get to me. Instead, I put it in the same pile as the rest of the negative comments I've received in the last few years. If I listened to everyone that said something negative (i.e. "You're not going to go back to school" "Grad school is not an option for you", etc.) then I would be sitting at home, in my room, drowning in my sorrow like I was a few years ago when I was suffering with depression and an anxiety disorder. I was able to pull myself out of depression and funct...

Starting With The Woman In The Mirror

        Ive “let myself go” recently... havent pampered myself or put much effort into my outward appearance for awhile because I was uncomfortable with my “new body”. I didnt know how to be Courtney anymore because I didnt feel like Courtney anymore. The girl that had hundreds of clothing items has had her closet reduced to a few things that “fit” and a few others she cant bring herself to part with (the local Goodwill dropoff bay has seen me often this year).  Im tired of looking in the mirror and not feeling my best. Im tired of just being “okay” with the way I look.  Im done being insecure, unsure of myself & weighed down (no pun intended) by the extra pounds. I have to love myself no matter what size I wear. No matter what the scale says.  Changes are happening. Mentally. Physically. Emotionally. Im changing. Im caring again. Im going to love myself again. Inside and out. Get ready for a comeback! ...